Sunday, September 22, 2013

Publishing


A second resource I choose to help guide my capstone was Inside Book Publishing. I have not read the book from cover to cover but as I read, I am encouraged to ask myself, “Why do I want to get this book published?”

Inside Book Publishing seems to be written for an audience of authors seeking to reach the top of the best sellers lists. The book exposes some of the cutthroat realities of a books success. For example it explains that, “In a market increasingly dominated by powerful retailors and book sellers, publisher size is crucial . . .” Although I would like people to buy The Corkboard Curriculum, the purpose of getting the book published is not for financial success or name credibility. I would like the book published in order to secure the content and have the freedom of distributing or selling the book to anyone who would benefit from having it. This being said, parts of Inside Book Publishing do not apply to my capstone.

However, Inside Book Publishing has encouraged me to look into a variety of publishing types. Today, I read an article on the benefits and drawbacks of self-publishing.

Nonetheless, if I decide to get the book published with a small local company or opt to try self-publishing, Inside Book Publishing will still be a great resource. Chapters 10 and 11, for example, are full of applicable marketing and sales techniques. 

No comments:

Post a Comment