Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sprinting in Mud



I am frustrated with the amount of work I have to show at this point in my capstone project. I started the website, I have a complete storyboard for the video, and I have decided to self-publish the book, but I really wanted to be father along by this point.

Shepherd University students have free website space on the Shepherd domain. Generally, I would be delighted to go with the free option but this time I wanted to step outside of the familiar territory. If a year from now an employer says, “I need my business online,” but I do not understand how to get their website running, it would not matter how brilliant the draft appeared, I would not have met their needs.

I researched the best website builders for hours. I compared prices, packages, accessibility, reliability, their benefits, and I read at least 30 reviews. Through all the reading I kept coming back to the same 4 websites: Wix, Web.com, GoDaddy, and iPage. After a while, it seemed as though no matter what website I encountered there was always some horror story. Financially, Wix seemed the best. I had heard of GoDaddy before and Web.com seemed like it offered the most. I started to create a website with Web.com then I realized that I could not afford it and I went with iPage instead. In the end iPage seemed like it had the best balance of everything that I was most interested in for this project.

I created and bought a domain for my capstone project: corkboardcurriculum.com. I was incredibly pleased that the domain was available. After the domain was created, iPage gives users the option of working with Weebly, Wordpress, or a more difficult program. I decided to go with Wordpress and downloaded it immediately. After I downloaded Wordpress I could not edit the website so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I was still unable to edit the website so I watched a few tutorials to see what I should be expecting to see. I did exactly as the tutorials showed and it still did not work. The aggravated part of me was yelling, “Why isn’t this working!?” and the optimistic part of me was saying, “You are uncomfortable- this is wonderful, it means you are learning.” I took five and called iPage user support to ask what in the world I was doing wrong. As it turns out, the domain and the website just had not made a connection, and the website was temporarily uneditable.

Needless to say, I have been learning tremendously even from the smallest aspects of this project. Finally, I was able to get into Wordpress, which is also completely new to me, and start the website.

Initially, I proposed to learn in Webpages, but I am just as satisfied learning Wordpress. Wordpress is not particularly difficult. The little things such as stopping to learn how to make a drop-down menu have been time consuming, yet rewarding. The general structure of the website is finished; now, it just needs all the content.

Like previously stated, the storyboard is complete and the video will be started this week. Before I start editing I would like to have the storyboard looked-over but I am feeling confident with it’s progress.

As far as the book-publishing goes, I pulled the reigns a little. I am not sure if I stopped pursuing this aspect as persistently because I know that it is in my hands and not in the hands of a third-party or if I have poorly prioritized. Nonetheless, I need to find out what my next step is here and do it.

All in all I am learning. I do not feel threatened by time just yet, but I do feel like getting this project to this point has been like getting a steam locomotive from stop to rolling on the right tracks. Fortunately, she’s a comin’ along!  


No comments:

Post a Comment